In yet another example of my "who needs kids when you've got dogs (& cats)?" philosophy....
Yesterday morning I was really tired. After replacing all the switches, I guess I needed some extra sleep. Or something like that.
So I'm clinging to sleep. I'm thoroughly enjoying my sleep. I'm relishing the comatose state. When I become aware of somebody pawing me. Or kneading me, to be more exact. No idea why, but Smudge was on the bed with me. Usually she's happy just to get on the bed and curl up on the covers. But yesterday morning, she decided to try to make a bed of me under the covers. She's using her front paws on me like I'm a pillow she's going to knead into submission. She must've seen me sleeping and decided the only way she could enjoy her sleep as much as I was enjoying mine was to make her bed on me.
This, of course, bothers Lily. She still likes to chew on Smudge. In fact now that I think about it, it's probably her fault Smudge was on the bed with me--she likely chased the cat there. Since the bed is one place Lily is not allowed to be on, the wily cat took refuge there.
As I'm becoming aware of the cat pushing on me with her little, pinpoint paws, I'm also lucky enough to hear Lily woofing at the cat. And putting her front paws up on the bed, then bouncing back off. Then back up, woof, down. She was basically bouncing off the side of the bed every few seconds, woofing intermittently, pacing from one side of the bed to the other, while the cat gleefully "neener neener'd" her from atop me.
How much I love my sleep can only be obvious from this example. While all this is going on, I'm drowsing lightly enough to emphatically tell Lily to go away. I don't bother bugging the cat because I know if I knock her off me, she'll get cranky and jump off the bed and then her and Lily will begin the chase again.
Somehow, Lily manages to calm herself enough or I'm simply tired enough that I manage to slide back into sleep. At some point later when I wake up, the cat is sleeping on the dresser and Lily's sleeping on her bed.
A recap: in the past week I've cleaned up poo, puke, and furry messes. I've been jerked from sleep by a sick dog in the middle of the night. I've had to stop one dog from picking on the other. I've dispensed medicine and been pestered while sleeping in, as well as making chicken & rice for the sensitive baby.
They may not be bipedal, but they're kids nonetheless.
No comments:
Post a Comment