Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 4--Oh what a zoo!

And I don't mean the animals.

On Day 4 of our trip, we got up and went to the zoo.  At our first attempt, we'd seen that parking fills up fast.  And Denver heat climbs quickly.  So if we got there early, before all the traffic, and before the temps rise, we'd have a good time.  Right?  yeahno.

We arrived around 9:30ish, which is pretty early.  The zoo opens at 9.
The parking was full-ish, but not packed yet.  In fact, we found a pretty good spot.
We got into the park, saw some animals, and then ran smack dab into the herd.  Denver Zoo has lots of animals, but not enough of one species to form a herd.
I speak of the young children and clueless mothers herd.  They cluster together and run from place to place, screaming and yelling and pointing and making me twitch while the mothers conglomerate and discuss their childbirth stories.
One or two children I can handle, even if they're screaming.  However, there was 20+ kids in one place, ranging from ages 0-5.  (Dear daycare professionals:  You have my respect, despite the fact that I think you're mentally questionable.)
We entered a place where no stroller can go.  Where there is, in fact, a stroller parking area.  That there's a need for this area boggles my mind.

ANYWAY.
The heat was high, too.  I believe it was 80ish while we toured the zoo, on top of some rather staggering humidity (for Denver).  Most of the animals were seeking shade and conforming their bodies to it so they could stay cool.  For that reason, we didn't get may pictures of cats.
While being hot, sticky and irritated by children, we saw animals as quickly as we could so we could return to the room of air conditioning and quiet.  Some exhibits we didn't even bother going into because there's a limit to how much sweat-to-water ratio I'm willing to suffer.

And since I didn't have the patience to actually get a description of the animals I was taking pics of, you'll have to make due with the descriptions I have.

I have to say the animals seemed to have gotten a memo about our visit.  A lot of the pictures we got were of rear ends.  Some of them were even in focus.  The pictures below are really only a fraction of how many were taken and slightly acceptable.
Note to self:  Next time, only bother taking pics if the critters are facing you.



Some big porcupine.  I felt as prickly as it looks that day.


Itty bitty deer (dwarf deer, if I remember correctly)

There's a lion laying in the shade right in the middle.

whosit and whatsit



Hyena



Here kitty kitty

Leopard
Yay tiger!

Same tiger.  So pretty.


Giraffe--black tongues.


Polar bear being led out to treats

crazy fact:  polar bears have been interbreeding with kodiak bears, possibly to deal with the loss of habitat & feeding areas?



nomnomnom!
Another polar bear being treated

Arctic fox?

otters being playful

back and forth they swam

pants reflection--can only be found at the Denver Zoo

The rainforest room foliage


tri-colored squirrels?


little lizard



snakes



Big Catfish


another snake

an iguana?

fishes & rays

The ray smiling at us


more cool fish



giant reef aquarium



Sea horse!  (See, I know one for sure)


A lion fish

big blow fish




sea urchin (the prickly things)

shrimp

komodo dragon


I stuck my tongue out right back at it

Alligator

turrrrtle

colorful frogs




Sea lion?



peacock

camels--two humped

Peacock attack!  actually pretty funny--mom thought it'd be nice to have a picnic on the grass.  kids will be making her pay for therapy for the next ten years because of their terror of peacocks

nomnomnom



you lookin at me?

Mongolian desert horses?

Fox sleeping in a log

I think they're bat-eared foxes?

single-humped camel

okapi


read about them in a book when they were still considered "mythical" animals



The new Asian Tropics exhibit construction







Lots of birds


















The cutest little owl I've ever seen





A rarely seen robin!






Sparrows taking advantage of some food


Primates



one of my siblings





This little guy was about the size of my palm





















my other sibling












Monkey island


Stork and pelican

He wants to come see us

Mountain goat

Ram

That's a cheetah, again, laying in the shade


It's a kangaroo!






turtle & bird.  Impressive, right?  You can almost never get a turtle to hold still long enough for a picture....

Giraffe sculpture at the entrance.  Even that was showing me it's rear end!

No comments: