Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Scared of Science

Hot Yellowstone


I will never in my life understand why people refuse to believe in science.  I read the above article with fear.  Then I saw the comments section below the article, where people can post their thoughts on the article.  And now I'm terrified.

Why are people so distrustful of science?  What makes so many people think that the science regarding global warming/climate change is a "hoax"?

What has science given us in the past?

  • Vaccinations against debilitating and deadly diseases like Polio and Smallpox.
  • Ways to ensure clean water
  • Lots and lots of medicine to help people who are sick with diabetes, arthritis, leukemia, Parkinson's disease or depression.  Our lifespans are as long as they are thanks to science.
  • Adequate food for most of the planet.  
  • Nuclear weapons.  Those happened.  Lots of people died.  What that a hoax, too?
  • Ozone layer repair.  If science hadn't figured out what caused it, the hole would continue to grow and a lot more people near the South Pole would suffer.
  • Gasoline.  It makes our world go 'round.  Science did that.  You're welcome.
Climate change skeptics remind me of an obese person who thinks they're just "big boned".  No matter how many people tell that person if they just take better care of themselves, they can lose weight and feel better.  But the obese person says, nooooo, I'm just big boned, and continues to eat anything and everything their heart desires.  Until one day they just die, at a young age, because of all the damage they've done to their body.

People who are don't believe in science need to be fed to the endangered polar bear.  At least then the polar bear will have adequate food while it's habitat disappears.

gr.

No comments: