Thursday, June 23, 2011

Yay summer!

So, SO happy warm weather has finally arrived--and so are my strawberry plants.
I think that all the wet/cool weather depressed them too much, they all turned brown and looked like they were dead.  But now the sun isn't being completely blocked and the plants have all bounced back.  There's even a flower on one of the plants!  That can only mean fruit should follow soon.  And since I'm hoping to plant a raspberry starter plant this weekend, more fruit might join the strawberries.

One of the aspen trees we planted last month(?) doesn't appear to be doing well.  There's been no growth, despite the fact that the branches are pliable and don't snap into pieces.  We're contemplating replacing it with a fruit tree of some kind.  I'd love to get an apricot or plum tree.  I'm going to call a local nursery and see what they say about it.  Gotta have my fruit!

I've gotten up every day and done something outside this week.  It feels incredible.  It feels like I haven't been in the office in weeks, not days.  There's so little stress, and so much time to do what I want/need to do that I'm giddy.
The dogs are enjoying it, too.  I've taken them for a walk at the county park on Monday, Wednesday and today.  Tuesday I mowed, and it was windy during the day, so they didn't get the exercise they needed.
Tomorrow might not be a good day to go, either.  All the walking has been hurting my untried feet.  I've got a blister waiting to make an appearance, I can just feel it.  So now I'm reading up on preparations for walking--the lubrication, appropriate socks, and other blister prevention.  Hopefully I'll be a walking fool by the end of the summer!

Denver trip is on the horizon.  The Mister and I are both very much looking forward to some time away, just the two of us, to relax and not have to think about work or stuff to do around the house.  Still trying to figure out things to do.  So far I'm planning on the zoo, the science museum, and seeing Harry Potter 7:2 at the Imax theater, since it'll be coming out the weekend we're there.
I've also signed up on groupon.com and livingsocial.com to hopefully find some deals for stuff to do in Denver before we actually go.  Waiting to make hotel reservations until closer to the trip because hotwire.com prices tend to go down the more immediate the trip.

My lovely cousin gave birth to a big boy yesterday--9 lbs 6 oz!  After over a full day of labor, they finally had to do a C-section because he just wasn't cooperating.  Now I really want to go visit, and try to help.  Unfortunately, said lovely cousin thinks I need her time & attention when all I want to do is give her whatever help she might need while she adjusts to being a mother.  It would be so amazing to meet a newborn.  I've never gotten a chance to...
And since I'm not working, it's not like I'm using up vacation time....

No comments: