I'm what some (mostly my friends and family) would call a treehugger. Or a hippy. The Mister often tells me I have bark on my shirt. Needless to say, I like green things. When the new Macbook commercials came on last year announcing them as "green" and "recycled" I got tears in my eyes. No lie.
I feel guilty for wanting the latest & greatest technology--in our house we have an iMac, 1 old big TV, 2 LCD tvs, and various other techie things, iPods, Blackberries, etc. And I want MORE! I love technology. I don't know how people existed when I was 9. Walkman? Please! Who puts moving parts on anything anymore?
Obviously, these things will eventually break, or are designed to break easily so they can be replaced, and something new will be purchased. The stuff in our stuff isn't always good stuff. I know that. But I love my stuff, so I guess I'm a treehugging stuff-lover. It seems a bit of a conundrum. What to do, what to do....
I have a small car. Below is a picture of me driving my super-awesomeness of a small car. It's name is Nigel and he rocks all other cars (except other MINIs, since all MINIs rock).
I love my little car. Small parking space? I can parallel like a professional. Only 13 gallons in my tank? I can drive to Ohio. Almost. I don't have to feel too guilty about my carbon footprint with 30ish mpg city and 36ish mpg highway. Right on!
However, I love my little car for more than just it's cute factor and the great efficiency.
I like to drive a little crazy. Not too crazy, but somewhat pedal happy. I lovvvve to take turns at 20+ mph and I
Needless to say, my mileage goes down then. And I drive everywhere. I know I should ride my bike, but I love to drive. I'm torn because I feel like if I don't drive my little car and everyone else does, what can it hurt? My footprint isn't that big. On the other hand, I know that every person that doesn't drive makes a difference. Guilt, thy name is Mel.
I recycle, though. And I have an electric lawnmower. I make sure to buy phosphate-free cleansers and I even switched cat litter to wheat stuff instead of clay. Everything I can get in organic cotton I have.
I hope I'm not reincarnated as a sea-faring bird who gets slathered in crude oil--if I die before we run out of oil. Or someone (shame on you, whoever you are!) saves oil to throw at birds.
No comments:
Post a Comment