The first few days of February have been frustrating and fun.
Do-it-half-assed-yourself with Mel & Mister!
The Mister and I wanted quieter fans in the bathrooms, since the construction-grade ones that were installed in the house were about as quiet as a drum solo. We could hear them over the shower running.
Since I'd replaced so many switches in the house last year, I felt semi-confident replacing the fans. Since the Mister had re-installed the fan in the guest bath, I felt mostly confident we could replace all of them.
So we attempted to replace one of two in the master bath to start.
The process began with removing the old, noisy fan/light. Not too bad.
But the new fan was bigger. The Mister had to cut a bigger hole in the ceiling.
Then there was the matter of mounting the new fan. Since our attic is terribly difficult to get into, he didn't want to have to go up to try to mount it, especially since it meant I'd have to do work from the bottom that I probably wouldn't do right.
He figured out a magical, half-assed way to "mount" it: use some anchors through the drywall on one side, screw directly into the joist on the other. The fan stayed where it should.
Unfortunately, the damn thing wouldn't work right. Yes, the fan would come on. But only when the lights were off. The lights worked either way. The Mister suspected we needed a switch with more poles on it.
We tried searching the internet, contacting the build website we'd gotten the fans from, and contacting the manufacturer. No answers on the internets, the build website provided some, and the manufacturer knew less about what I was asking than I did, which was extremely frustrating.
After cussing and trying everything he could think of, he finally relented to my suggestion that we call an electrician.
Fortunately, the electrician was out of town for the week. Yes, fortunately.
Because while we waited, we attempted to install the second fan in the master bath. And this one the Mister wired a little differently than the first--and it worked!! Yay!!
So he pulled apart the first one, rewired it, and it worked too! Hallelujah!
By that point, the guest bath fan was no big deal. I had most of the minor install work done by the time he was done cutting the hole in the ceiling, so he basically just wired it, taped it, and tightened some screws.
yay us!
In the past week, we also tried pilates. Since the Mister's doc told him he needs to stretch his hamstrings so they stop pulling his back the wrong way and strengthen his core muscles to support his back better, and I need want to try some no-impact exercise, this fit the bill.
Before we went, the Mister was skeptical. "I don't know if I'm going to really be into this"
Well, ok, but don't go into it thinking you're going to hate it.
So we went. We worked some muscles, built up a light sweat, spent some time together doing something good for us, and the Mister liked it enough that he wants to keep going.
yay me!!
A few days ago, after going to pilates, I started to feel icky. After checking out the tonsils, I discovered ick in them. Tonsillitis (hence the previous post).
I slept, I emergen-c'd, I drank water, I had soup, gargled with salt water, had fruit smoothies, and today I can say I feel 75% better. My one tonsil is still a little swollen, but since I'm feeling better, I imagine it's just a matter of time before it catches up.
Of course, after the first day of me being sick, the Mister started to feel yucky, too.
He's tired, sore, and just blah feeling. Hopefully he'll catch up to me, too.
Today, since I was feeling more energetic, I went to the pet store to get a cable to replace the one Lily broke, from use & cold weather, on Friday. I also managed to find a tug toy that allows me to play with both of them at the same time. They can either tug against each other, or me, and I can tug against both of them at once. win!
yay doggies!
No comments:
Post a Comment