Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Dangers of Ordering a MINI

I've mentioned a couple of times now about my difficult wait for my new car.  While being carless.
Here, I will list all 1111 difficulties we've had while waiting for the car.


  • The hard part:  building the MINI you want, with all the options you want/need, and still making it affordable.  I avoided this altogether by simply loading up the car with all the bells and whistles that looked fun and avoiding what the final price was.  Kind of.
  • Sending the configuration to a dealership.  Getting a salesman/Motoring Advisor (MA) to place my order and give me a production number so I can start obsessing about where it is in the process of being built.
  • Stalking my car.  Seriously.  Multiple times a day, I checked the MINI website to see if somehow, magically, the car was in Colorado 2 weeks after I ordered it.  Alas, this was not to be the case.  Logically I understood this.  My inner stalker didn't.
  • The agonizingly slowwwwwwwwww trip the car takes from the factory, across the Atlantic, through the Panama Canal, up the west coast to port in southern California.  The longest part of the whole process.The approximately 1100-ish waking hours spent at home unable to drive.  Torture.  Pure torture.
  • The approximately 1100-ish waking hours spent questioning whether I got the right bells and whistles.  Should I have gotten the anthracite headliner?  Or should I have gotten the split rails instead of the single?  Why didn't I get the Polar Beige color line!?  OMG, what if I hate my car when it gets here!?!?!!?!?!?
  • The approximately 1100-ish waking hours that can be spent online in MINI communities talking to other MINI owners about their cars, and waiting, and options, and seeing pictures of cars that look just like what I think mine will look like and HOLY HELL CAN THIS TAKE ANY LONGER?
  • The unfortunate realization that, yes, it can AND will take longer.  Because my MA is a schmuck.  The Mister approves of him, but I'm way over him now.
  • We can't start any paperwork process until the car actually gets to the dealership's lot in Denver.  So we wait.  And wait.  And wait some more.  Again.
  • Deciding what type of lease to do.  The Mister takes the reins on this one because he's in the business.  Back and forth with the MA.  Yes to this, no to that, can we please get this taken care of?
  • The car is waiting at the dealership.  I'm waiting in my house.  The MA just can't seem to find the single finance person who works for all 4 branches of the dealership.
  • Finally, the paperwork gets here.  But wait!  There's charges on here that the Mister and MA both agreed wouldn't be on there!  Oh wonderful, we get to wait for more paperwork to be printed and sent?  Fabulous!!  Please!  Take your time.
  • Once all is said and done, paperwork is received by the dealership, they can finally ok the car to be transported here on a truck.
  • 2-3 days after that, I might get to drive it.  Maybe.
Next time, I'm getting a used car off the lot.  Or just never getting another car ever again in my entire life.

No comments: