If you own a TV, know a teenager, or look at bestseller book lists, you probably know who Kristen Stewart is. She plays Bella on the Twilight franchise movies. It's the role she's probably best known for.
She made a movie a few years ago that far out shows Twilight (and I'm a Twilight fan!).
If you want to watch a movie that'll make you emotional, that'll make you relate, that will make you upset and inspired by strength, I recommend the movie Speak.
I watched it for a second time today--I saw it a few years ago. I'd watch it again, in another few years. It's not one that'll necessarily be on your to-buy list because it can be hard to watch.
Without giving too much away, Kristen's character is a teenager in high school.
If you've ever felt like an outcast, you'll relate to her.
If you've ever felt like the only way you can communicate isn't with words, you'll understand.
I'm a big supporter of the arts in public schools. I'm not saying math & science aren't important, but if a kid excels at something, let them continue to excel, even if it's with an instrument, a paintbrush, or with poetry.
I've heard of art therapy for some people who just can't talk about something that they're dealing with. This movie makes me more appreciative of good teachers, supportive educators. I have a friend who is an art teacher in middle school. Some of the worst years of a kid's life are middle school years. It's no surprise her class is one of the most popular electives to take, since so many kids need to let out their fears, rage, frustration, joy or any other range of feelings with art.
If you have a couple of hours to feel, watch Speak. I hope it'll affect you.
No comments:
Post a Comment