Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Happy sadness

In a perfect world, I would be jubilant today.  Everything I voted for or against would've been on the winning side.
I guess I could say I'm 95% happy at this point--the one thing I'm unhappy about at this point was the initiative that put extremely strict guidelines on medical marijuana in the state.  This is frustrating because so many other states are heading in the other direction, namely Washington and Colorado.
The tighter regulations here will mean, unbelievably, that money won't change hands for the product--no money means no taxes.  I firmly believe that marijuana, which has been shown to be used by a majority of Americans at least once in their life, should be legal and should be taxed, just like alcohol and cigarettes.
In Washington, an estimate of the possible tax revenues from marijuana was over $600,000,000.  In Colorado, where it won't be taxed as severely, the estimate was $60 million.  I imagine the numbers are so different due to state population size, number of users, and how much the product will be taxed.
Now, imagine if the rest of the country was allowed to tax legal marijuana.  I hope we're heading in that direction, I really do, because I think it's a viable option for our budget deficit.

In terms of other elected officials--my guys won.  The gubernatorial candidates ran vastly different campaigns.  One guy was supported by law enforcement officers and firefighters throughout the state.  People of authority, in my state, supported him.  So it wasn't hard to vote for him instead of his opponent--a former lobbyist that had out-of-state politicians in his party coming here to stump for him.
No idea why, but in another race it came down to facial hair.  I hate facial hair on most guys, mustaches in particular.  I voted for the guy with no facial hair and a long family history of farming in Montana.

There's other positions that went to people I didn't vote for, but overall I'm happy with how things turned out, especially nationwide.
Women won big this election--a record number of women in office in congress.  With crap abortion talk among republicans in the Midwest, it was a relief to see that men who believe rape is "God's plan" and women's bodies can "shut that whole thing down" after rape, were defeated by more (hopefully) rational people.

It was also great to see that same-sex marriage was made legal in some states, and the first openly lesbian candidate was elected, too.

And, most importantly, there were a lot of voters.  Over 100 million.  Considering that roughly 1/3 of the population of the entire country voted....that's pretty awesome.

Now I can only hope (silly, I know) that when Washington gets back to work, they actually do work--instead of trying to focus on blocking what the other party doesn't want (remember Mitch McConnell saying that the republicans needed to do everything they could to keep Obama from winning a second term?).  Impeding progress, to me, is equivalent to moving backwards.

No comments: