Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sweet Issue

I have a problem.  I wouldn't go so far as to call it an addiction.  It's probably better described as a compulsion.  It's not fearsome or life-threatening.  But it's a bit strange.

I like to bake.

No, that's not the problem, although it is directly related to the problem.
I like to bake sweet treats.  Cookies, cakes, breads, and the occasional pie.  If it's got sugar in it, and it's some kind of indulgence, I'd probably like to make it.

The only problem with my baking habit is, well....I like to share my baked goods.  With anyone who wants them.  Yes, that includes mailing baked goods.  I don't know why I feel this need, I'm sure people think I'm a crazy wacko, but that's nothing new.

During Christmas season, instead of sending cards, I send peanut butter balls or pass along some shortbread.
During the fall, when squash varieties are in season, I might mail out some blueberry zucchini bread.
When I get a bee in my bonnet and decide to make snickerdoodles for no reason other than I want to try a new cookie recipe....I package up a dozen or two and send them to old friends and new friends.  The new friends, I imagine, consider me a nut job and worry for their safety...and never stick around long enough to become old friends.

I honestly don't know why I like to do it.  I can't count the number of times the Mister has been sent to work with a few dozen cookies, or some kind of sweet treat.
I'm compelled to share my sugary habit with people near and far.

It's not necessarily that I want people to like me for my baked goods, but possibly more because I think a treat is a simple way to brighten someone's day.
And I'm not even a people person!

Ugh.
So.weird.

No comments: