Thursday, August 30, 2012

Still Baffling

Well, this week certainly didn't go as I imagined it would.

While the gray spots in the field of vision in my right eye are definitely smaller than they were two weeks ago, they're unfortunately still there.
I was expecting a good progress report from the eye specialist on Tuesday.  That didn't really happen...

My eyes were dilated once again--a nuisance more than anything--those drops f*ing sting!  Then I was taken into the mad laboratory of my eye doc.  His name is Dr. Adams.  He's still friendlier now that I don't have a case of floaters.  Why is he friendlier?  Probably because I'm going to be giving him repeat business.  Ugh.

So Dr. Adams goes after my eyes with that bright-like-the-sun test to view the back of my eye.  Not a whole lot of talking until he finishes torturing my peepers extensively.  Finally, the lights go back on--not that I could see much, since my eyes were still lost in bright-light-afterburn land--and he lets me sit back.  Then he says, "Well, this is certainly a puzzle.  I have to admit I'm baffled..."  NO!  DON'T BE BAFFLED, DAMN YOU!!  TELL ME MY EYE ISN'T BROKEN ANYMORE AND I NOW HAVE SPIDEY VISION!..."because your eye looks completely normal now.  The spots of blood are gone and your optic nerve isn't swollen anymore.  Our options at this point are to have you get a lumbar puncture, see a neuro-ophthalmologist in Spokane, Denver, SLC or Seattle, or see a neurologist here.  I'd really like you to see a neuro-ophthalmologist.  Do you have any family in any of those cities?"
Why, yes, I do!  In Spokane, I say.  So he says he'll see if he can get in contact with the neuro-ophthalmologist (I never in my life thought I'd be typing out neuro or ophthalmologist as much as I have in the last couple weeks) in Spokane and get me seen.
Then he has me take another test that involves a bright flash and I return to bad-vision-acid-trip land again before sending me on my way.  Yay for sunglasses!

After not hearing from him earlier, I decided to give the good doctor a call today.  That's when I got more bad news.
The neuro-ophthalmologist he thought was available in Spokane is no longer there.  I have to pick another option.  Apparently N-O's are a very distinct specialty.  They can only exist in metropolitan areas with populations of more than the entire state of Montana.  The nerve!

At this point, I'm waiting to hear back from him with that contact info.  I might end up choosing a city further away where I know someone and can visit them at the same time.  I mean, really, if I have to get my eye tortured, and travel by myself (since the Mister is highly unlikely to be able to get time off again), I may as well make the best of the trip and hug someone I love.

I also managed to ask the good doctor if I could just see a neurologist here.  He'd apparently been in contact with the local neuro because he told me that at this point, a neurologist wouldn't be able to tell nearly as much as an N-O.  blah

So here's what I found out after I saw him, spoke to people who know stuff, and read up on things online:

  • Some overweight people can have increased intracranial pressure, and increased pressure on their spinal column.  This pressure can lead to what happened to me.  The only problem?  If that were the case, it should've happened to both eyes.  How to see if this pressure is indeed increased?  The lumbar puncture.  Which I'd like to avoid at all possible costs--I've seen House, I know it can only lead to other unexplained symptoms!
  • My MRI looked normal.  Good?  It should be good, but there are apparently some things that don't show up on an MRI until they're very advanced.  Hence the decision to send me to another torturer AKA specialty doctor for further tests.
  • Dr. Adams keeps telling me that if anything worsens suddenly with my vision, to call him immediately.  I'm not sure if this is to scare the shit out of me or reassure me.  I mean, is he worried that my eye might actually explode suddenly?  Or is the current eye status possibly a forewarning of further problems he's not telling me?  Oh god, is my eye going to start deflating and ooze out of my eye socket, followed by liquified brain matter!?


I'd really, really like to not be an unexplainable case.  There's just nothing more unsettling and somewhat frightening than having a health problem that doctors don't understand.

No comments: