Nothing major happening here. We're such bland folks.
Since spring has arrived, complete with Friday 80's and Saturday sky poo, I've started mowing the lawn again (when there's no sky poo on it, of course).
I also got it into my head that I wanted to put a flower garden along the front of the porch. At this point, we have no landscaping done to the front yard, but let's fix that!
So off we went, to burn some money in flowers and dirt. I got only perennials because I don't want to re-plant and re-pay every year for new flower. Without listing the actual scientific names, I can say that I have two species of shooting star (Montana native), some foxglove, and a flower I call honeysuckle because it has nectar you can suck out of the petals. All in the purple color family. So excited for them to all bloom!
Pictures will be posted when that happens....
Not only did we put in a flower garden, but I wanted it to be super pretty. Naturally, this was a pain in the ass.
I wanted to use a rock edging on it. So we went to Lowe's and we went to Home Depot, then we went to Kenyon Noble and came up with....jack shit! Everything I saw was either too big for the little garden or too ugly because it's manufactured "bricks" of stuff. Or both.
I wanted to be able to stack rock. Natural rock.
Thanks to a know-it-all friend, I found a place that sells rocks. Generally for construction and house-building. So my 120 lbs. of rock came to a whopping total of $24. Woo!
I found some beautiful shale in thinner sheets and chunks. Then I broke it down more. Into roughly hand-sized pieces. The result isn't perfect, and will take some tweaking soon, but I love it!
First summer project 50% complete. Now we move on to landscaping around the power boxes at the corner of the property. A nuisance to try to mow around, so we need to find some rocks to plant there.
Next up, another pain in the ass--the ice cream maker.
I have to say, I never thought making an impulse buy at Costco for $20 would cost so much more.
I bought an ice cream maker. I had a brilliant thought that, Hey, I can make my own delicious, organic, healthier-I-hope ice cream/sorbet/frozen yogurt at home!
I bring it home, unpack it, almost beside myself with glee that I can make my own ice cream. The Mister LOVES ice cream in the summer. He gets this ridiculous chocolate and peanut butter concoction from Coldstone, usually by the quart. I'm going to save us so much money!
....or not.
In order to make anything with fruit, I need a food processor to puree it. And then I need a mesh strainer to get the seeds out.
Do I have either a mesh strainer OR a food processor? Of course not!! That would just be too easy!
Instead of spending the money on more stuff, I decide I'll take the ice cream maker back for a refund.
Instead of that happening, the Mister decides we need to go out and get a food processor and mesh strainer. So instead of saving money and getting a decent ice cream maker for $20, we spent an additional $150 getting the other gadgets.
Who needs to save money? That's just silly talk.
Completely off-topic, I did hear this week that the person who replaced me at the former office is quitting. She didn't even last a year.
I wish I could say I was shocked.
No comments:
Post a Comment