Saturday, April 23, 2011

Unremarkable Me

My world is the focus of all my thoughts and energies.  My world is small, with few people in my life who are truly important to me.  My world has very few branches, very few exciting adventures.  My world is truly unremarkable to everyone...but me.
There are times when I ruminate about my life, my place in the world, my effect on the greater existence and I feel terribly small.  I have a lovely relationship with my mother, but none with my biological father.  I have negative feelings about my two siblings, but I've been lucky enough to have cousins that I love and respect.  I'm not a people person, an extrovert, or a social butterfly, but I care about the ones I love, and I care deeply.
The world is so big.  And so small.  I think about all the people I've met in my life, and all the people I wish I had more time to be with.  I love my dogs but don't want kids.  I like the kids of people I know, but don't care for stranger's children.
I watched a show today about David Suzuki.  He talked about a fellow scientist that spoke about the gas argon--how we inhale it with various other gases that go into our lungs with oxygen, but it, unlike many of the other gases, argon gets exhaled right back out.  And how the air we breathe out is then breathed in by someone, or something, else.  And so the air we breathe makes us part of itself, and what we take in has been taken in by others, so we are a part of everything that takes in this gas.  And there's a high likelihood that what we breathe today was breathed by dinosaurs millions of years ago.  So we're a part of our past, and we're a part of our future, and we're a part of each other.  But we still heedlessly spew toxic chemicals into the air we breathe without thought for anything other than getting from point A to point B or how awesome our status symbols are.
I think too deeply of many things.  I wonder why humans exist.  Honestly, we're on a speck of dust in a giant space the size of the Pacific Ocean.  Earth is just another planet next to a star, like any other star, in a spiral galaxy like any other spiral galaxy...and yet, there's life here.  Humans have existed for a split second in the vast universal time.  Yet my life seems so long, and short.
Many people believe in a god, whether it be Allah or Buddah or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  After reading and learning what I have of Earth, of the smallest amoebas to the duckbill platypus to the blue whale and Himalayan Tiger, I'm boggled by the amazing variety of lifeforms we share this place with.  Mice, mongoose, mossy oak, moths and melons.  But I have an extremely hard time believing that anything other than evolution has gotten us to where we are.  Everything has a niche, it has a place where it belongs, and because of the actions of humans, many lifeforms are dwindling, or already gone.
I wish people really understood how their actions, and the butterfly effect of their actions, causes death & destruction to so many beings that are precious.  I sound like a hippy, and I know I'm rambling.
Life is precious, and short, and unbelievably miraculous.

No comments: